Personal Inquiry Blog

Monday, September 06, 2004

Settling on a topic

After a look through the standards, I've decided that my topic for the personal inquiry project will be owls. The fifth grade standards are such that an interdisciplinary unit at that level would work. Some potential researchable questions I've come up with so far include:

  • Math Standards 5.6.1 and 5.6.2 (Data Analysis) and 5.7.1 and 5.7.2 (Problem Solving)How far can an owl actually fly?
  • Science Standards 5.4.1-5.4.9 (The Living Environment) How does destroying an owl's habitat affect other living things? In what ways is an owl's body system different than mine?
  • Social Studies Standards 5.2.10 (Roles of Citizens) How can we save the endangered habitats of owls?
  • Language Arts Standards 5.3.5 (Literary Devices) Why is the owl a symbol of wisdom in literature and art?

I also like "Would an owl make a good pet?" but I'm not sure where it fits in the standards.

I'm going to try to contact the Owl Research Institute in Montana. They were featured in a National Geographic article that featured tracking Snowy Owls for distances flown. I've started compiling a list of fiction books featuring owls as well as the non-fiction. Next step is to check zoos and bird preserves. Maybe Dan's friend who runs the farm animal santuary knows of some.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home